Welcome to Xavier High School's Admissions homepage. I encourage you to read more about Xavier's history, mission, and philosophy in the Prospectus above. Hopefully you get a feel for what we can offer you in your four years here. Your high school experience will be among the most significant years of your life. It will affect what you know, how you think, what you believe, who you know, who your friends will be, how you study, how you pray, and much more. Consider the power of a Jesuit education at Xavier!
Below is a timeline of events and deadlines for the Class of 2018:
1) Fall Open House is on Saturday, October 19, 2013 from 1:00 to 4:00 PM. The Open House is perhaps the best way to get a 'feel' for what Xavier is like. While you may not sit in on classes or be able to speak with the Dean of Academics for a great length on this day, you will be able to walk our hallways with your very own student tour guide, speak with teachers from all of our departments, ask as many questions of our guidance staff as you'd like, and talk to our coaches and moderators about our many sports teams and clubs and activities. There is no need to register for this event. Just show up on the 19th between 1:00 and 4:00 PM with questions!
2) Knight-for-a-Day Program - If your open house tour wasn't enough, sign up for our Knight-for-a-Day program and spend a school day with one of our freshman student leaders. From homeroom to English, math to Religion, 'shadow' an old friend or a former student from your middle school and get the insider's view of Xavier. While the Knight-for-a-Day program is not an Admissions requirement, it is strongly recommended for applicants, as it helps them make a fully-informed decision in the spring about what is the right school for them.
3) Register for and take the TACHS (Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools) at www.tachsinfo.com. If you live in New Jersey or Long Island and plan on taking the COOP or CHSEE, there is no need to also take the TACHS.
4) Xavier Scholarship Exam - If you are at or near the top of your class, have excelled on all of those 'state tests' (ERB, Iowa, SSAT, etc.), and think you're going to perform well on the TACHS, you may qualify for a merit scholarship at Xavier. In recent years, the Admissions Committee decided that we would institute our own Scholarship Exam as part of the admissions process, one that would accurately evaluate an applicant's writing and critical thinking skills. For more information about the exam and to register for the exam, click here.
5) There is one very important deadline for both the Xavier application and the financial aid application:
December 3: Application for Admission& Teacher Recommendation (optional) are due to the Admissions Office. The application and teacher recommendation documents are extremely important in helping the Admissions Committee get to know you as a student and as a person. Be sure to submit these to our office on time.
Also on December 3: Financial Aid applications due to FAIR. If your family intends to apply for financial aid, you may do so starting November 1st. Applying for financial aid in November will guarantee a financial aid decision along with your acceptance letter. If FAIR does not receive your financial aid application by December 3rd, 2013, you will not be eligible to receive financial aid for the 2014-2015 school year.
At Xavier, we have a long tradition—since 1847—of helping young men grow intellectually, spiritually, and physically. Our Jesuit roots commit us to guiding our students to be Men for Others who work for the greater glory of God and the world. It is a bold mission, but one that when undertaken wholeheartedly yields magnificent results. Our graduates are young men who are intellectually competent, open to growth, religiously aware and spiritually alert, loving, and committed to doing justice. They have become aware of their gifts and talents and are ready to use them for the greater benefit of the world around them. In short, they have become men of competence, conscience, and compassion.
Discover the power of a Jesuit, Xavier education!
Mr. Jonathan Cambras
Director of Admissions
Xavier High School
30 West 16th Street
212-924-7900, ext. 1602